Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Vacation! Ocean City, NJ

After our whirlwind trip to Massachusetts we drove home, for all of twenty minutes to gather the bikes and beach stuff, and headed on to Ocean City, NJ.  We left MA at 3:15 pm and arrived in OC, NJ at 10:30pm!  We usually have our week at the beach the Saturday following Labor Day – which would have been last week – but with the wedding we decided to make it for the following week.  Unfortunately, it doesn’t seem as if the weather is going to cooperate.  After arriving on Saturday, we went to bed and awoke to a rainy Sunday.  We basically hung around the house – slept, played games, and talked with my parents and sister who were here.  They came down early on Saturday to get the keys and open the house for us.  Lisa, who has been battling breast cancer (and won! and is now in remission!) was excited to stick her feet in the sand. Lisa - toesShe LOVES the beach and hasn’t been able to get to the beach all season with all her treatments.  They left around 3 pm and we headed to the grocery store to get supplies for the week and then pizza for dinner!

Monday we awoke to beautiful blue skies – but WINDY!!!  We went out for a morning bike ride – 5 miles!  We came home, ate an early lunch and headed to the beach.  It was chilly and windy – but the sun was shining and we figured it may be the only decent day of the week.  Beach DrewDrew LOVED the beach – we were there for three hours and he played non-stop in the sand.  I could actually sit in my chair and just watch him as he played so nicely!  Beach M&SBeach D&SBeach DBeach Drew 2The older three also played really well – building sand castles and motes and having battles between cities!  Drew soon became tired and brought him home to take a nap.  He was so tired he started to fall asleep in the tub while I was bathing him!  He was totally asleep while I dressed him! Beach Drew sleep We then headed to the boardwalk after supper.  We just walked the boards as the rides weren’t open – much to Daniel’s disappointment!  It doesn’t look like they’ll be open until Friday.

Andy’s parents came down Monday evening and are staying until Wednesday afternoon.  It was a cloudy morning – but we headed to the beach to walk along the shore and then on the boards.  Beach G&ABeach DanielBeach MattBeach SarahBeach P&GBeach Drew 3It started to rain after a couple of hours so we headed back for lunch.  Around 4 pm the sun decided to make an appearance!  Andy took the three older kids and his parents to play shuffleboard while I stayed back while Drew napped.  It was a pretty relaxing day.  It looks like it may be raining for the rest of the week – so we’ll have to see what things we can come up with to keep the kids happy – I am really hoping the weatherman is wrong and we can play in the sand again!  I guess we’ll see!

No comments: