Wednesday, October 22, 2008

I can do all things...

No, I am not admitting to being a supermom. Believe me, I am far from that description. If you only saw the state of my house you would understand. No, what I am referring to is my life verse..."I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13. I have loved that verse for as long as I can remember. I quote it each day as I deal with my children. I have hung onto to it as a life savor during those particularly stormy times. It is only by Christ's strength that I am able to really do anything.

As of late, however, I haven't been feeling as if I can do anything. I am really amazed at how this whole diabetes thing has hit me. I am usually not one to dwell on things and just try to push through them. But just the word makes me cringe. Everything has changed. From how we eat to what I do with my time. I think the biggest challenge has been cooking. I have NO IDEA what to make. I like the food I make now! It's very hard for me to change my diet or add variety. I didn't have the greatest diet growing up. But when I had kids I started realizing we needed more nutrition. I have changed as the years have gone by, wheat bread instead of white, more chicken instead of beef, 1% milk instead of whole, etc. Now the big change is adding more fruits and veggies. The fruit isn't hard, but the veggies......that's a whole different world! I did add asparagus this past week. So we now eat broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, green beans, and asparagus. Thankfully the kids love salads, especially with spinach. But what else is there? I refuse to make brussel sprouts, YUCK! I think I need to figure out how to cook squash. But I am at a loss as to what other things to add to our menu.

I know God is teaching me. It's just that I really hate change! It seems too hard. I like comfortable. This is not comfortable. But I know that with His help, I can do this. It may take a while, but I can do this. A result of my diet change has been a loss of 10.6 pounds since September 25th. He is showing me that this is possible everyday. Please pray for Matt and Sarah as they are finding this a bit difficult. I have removed almost all of the candy in the house and am replacing things with fruits and veggies and more healthy snacks. They will get use to it. I will get use to it! Soon, we hope!

No comments: