Monday, April 14, 2008

Only...

three more Monday's and I am done with full days of homeschooling! Sarah was thrilled today as we finished her Saxon 3 math program - all 140 lessons. Her thing is not math and each lesson was almost torcher. But I have to say her math skills have improved dramatically this year. I was always anti-Saxon. Saxon doesn't cluster ideas into chapters. Each lesson is different, but what I have found I like is that there is CONSTANT review - something Sarah needed desperately. Without that constant review, I don't believe she would have done as well as she has this year. I can't wait to get her achievement test results to see how much she has improved. Now that she is done with her curriculum, we will be concentrating on memorizing her math fact. I want her to know them down pat by the beginning of August.

This past weekend was busy, but a lot of fun. We started Friday by trying our hand at making homemade pizza - I hated it! I so love our local pizza parlor's pizza. Until I find a dough/ sauce/ cheese blend that I like, it's going to be hard giving up that pizza parlor pizza! But for the sake of the budget, I will keep trying. Sarah enjoyed helping to make the dough and Daniel helped by putting the cheese - everywhere! Daniel seemed to enjoy the pizza as he ate two pieces!

Saturday we got up and started cleaning and catching up on any of the chores that got neglected throughout the week. We then got packed up and left after Daniel's nap to go to Andy's parents. When we arrived the weather was beautiful and the kids were able to run around - until tragedy struck and Sarah fell and cut her hand. You would have thought she severed the limb the way she screamed! To my relief it was just a small cut which I wrestled her to get cleaned up - she sure is a strong wiry thing!

Sunday came fast. I decided to attend Andy's parent's church, Bethany E.C. Church, for Sunday school as Andy was asked at the last minute to speak at a Sunday school at Hereford Mennonite. It was so good to be there again! I didn't realize how much I missed it! I enjoyed seeing people I haven't seen in a while. It was good! Daniel even loved his Sunday school class. Andy's Aunt Louise teaches his age and my friend Kelly was the helper. When I came to pick him up they told me they were discussing Jesus' ascension. When Aunt Louise asked where Jesus was going he said, "Fishing!" Kelly and Aunt Louise got a kick out of that! After Sunday school I gathered the kids and ran over to Hereford Mennonite - 5 minutes down the road. Andy did a great job! He always does! It was a good time of fellowship with the people there. After church Andy's parents took us to lunch a great buffet - SO GOOD! Shortly thereafter, we had to head home - much to the disappointment of us all! Now that nicer weather is on the horizon we will be attempting to getup there more often.

A fun activity the kids participated in today was an origami class held at the Richmond Library. I have confessed before that I do not enjoy teaching Art - but do for Sarah's sake - who loves Art. Well, someone else taught Art this week! I was so excited and so were the kids as this was an activity that they have wanted to learn for a while. I'll have to post a picture or two of their creations tomorrow.

Only three more MONDAY'S!!!

No comments: