Monday, June 23, 2008

The Third One Falls Hard!!

Most of the time my kids are pretty healthy. We rarely have to visit the doctors office, but in the past month we have been to the pediatricians FIVE times!!!! May 23rd we took Matt for an infected toe, June 13th to have the toe rechecked as the first round of antibiotics didn't work, June 16th because we thought Daniel had strep - turned out to be Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease, June 18th for Sarah's 9 year old check-up,and a culture to confirm HFMD, and today, June 23rd, because Matt woke up with THE MOST HORRENDOUS rash you ever did see! I noticed the rash yesterday, but thought it was the virus (he caught the HFMD thing from Sarah and Daniel) releasing itself from his body - he is prone to that sort of thing. I noticed last night that it had gotten a little worse, so I had him take a Zyrtec as I thought maybe he had an allergic reaction to something. Well, when he woke up this morning his poor face was COVERED and swollen with a rash and it was all over his body! I immediately called the doctor and they thought it could be Scarlet Fever or Fifths Disease.Well, he was the talk of the office during his appointment! All five doctors came in at some point during our visit to see if they could figure out what "it" was. His throat culture was negative for strep, which meant he didn't have Scarlet Fever (did you know Scarlet Fever is a different form of strep? I didn't!) Fifths Disease was also ruled out. They then decided they needed to draw some blood. If you know Matt you can picture the panic that filled his face! He HATES shots and was sure this was going to be worse. We went to the lab that they have right in the office (I LOVE this practice!). The tech was so sweet and explained EVERYTHING to my detail oriented son. He handled it so well! He shed a few tears but didn't flip out like I thought he would! They are currently testing for MONO, Parvovirus and Adenovirus (I have NO idea what the last two are!) We should know something by Wednesday when he goes for his 11 year-old check-up (yes, the 6th visit in 4 1/2 weeks!). Right now we have taken to calling him "Spot"!! After the doctors visit we went to Target to pick up a few things and get Matt a small treat for doing so well with his blood test. We were there for about 30 minutes and came out to find that the car would not start! This car HATES me! It always seems to break down when Andy is out of town (he is at Men-O-Lan on the Teen Retreat). I called Carisa and she graciously came and rescued us! Poor Andy will have to deal with it when he gets home tonight. He believes it's the fuel pump - which I thought we had already replaced not too long ago. Oh, well! Life today definitely didn't go how I had planned. We were supposed to spend a lovely afternoon with my friend Donna and then go to my parents house for dinner and birthday gifts for Matt and Sarah. I just have to keep remembering that ALL THINGS WORK TOGETHER FOR GOOD FOR THEM THAT LOVE GOD. Even though it didn't go the way I wanted it to, God knew how it would go and it is all for the best. Please pray for healing for both Matt and the car!

No comments: