Monday, October 8, 2007

Life Is Fleeting

There are days when living and working here in Kensinton really stinks - today is one of those days. Andy went away to Camp Men-o-lan with God Squad for their annual retreat. I called him this afternoon to let him know how great the kids did with school and he sounded a little different. When I asked what was wrong he told me he had gotten a phone call that one of the teens we worked with was murdered last night. Dale Wilson was a neat kid. He could be trouble and push the limits but he had such a personality. More importantly he told numerous people about his faith. He wasn't afraid. Unfortunately, violence is a reality that these kids deal with on a daily basis. This weekend alone there were five murders. Friday night there was a shooting only a few blocks from our house where a 15 year old boy was shot in the head. It is never ending. In reality, I am amazed we haven't lost more of our kids to violence. It is a testimony to the amazing protection of our Heavenly Father and the faithful prayers of His believers. What is more amazing is that God has really protected our children from dealing with the violence. One of the struggles I dealt with when moving here was raising my kids here. I didn't want to do it. I grew up in an area of violence - I didn't want that for my kids. But God is good and knows what is best for my family. As they get older and start developing closer relationships with the kids in the area it will get more difficult to shield them. This is the first kid they really knew that violence has taken away. Please pray for them and the youth we work with as this will leave a void in their lives. Pray for Andy and the other leaders as they walk the kids through this tragedy.

This is a picture of the Teen Retreat this past June. Dale is in the lower left corner, sitting down. These are some of the kids this tragedy will effect.

On a lighter note, the kids did incredibly well with school today. They were both done by 3:30 pm! That is a first since we have started school! They were so excited! They were able to play on the computer and just enjoy themselves for a few hours before bed. I was thrilled to be able to get some other things done before making dinner!

No comments: