Thursday, January 22, 2009

My Incredible Man!!!

BB - (Wednesday) 1 (Thursday) 2
After a day of demolition!
My husband is the most incredible man I have ever met! He has been my human stronghold throughout this whole bed bug ordeal. He has done, and continues to do, so much to protect and care for this family. The past few days he has been really busy with ripping out sections of the ceiling in our bedroom and in the hall.
Our ceiling before
Our ceiling after
It is the next step in our effort to fight the migrating bed bugs. He puts Versabond on the brick, as it works better than mortar, and then fills in the holes next to the joists with expanding foam filler. You can literally see the house next door through the holes next to the joists. When these houses were built they just butted the joists together. They are not really connected, as it is not one long joist throughout the two houses, but they align together. This alignment, however, allows "things" to travel easily back and forth between houses. We are really hoping that this puts a stop to the bed bugs. COMHAR has agreed to do the same thing in their house, but are currently entertaining bids from contractors to do the job. Who knows how long it will be until they get their side done. As you can see from the numbers above we have only found a few. The only one we found that concerns me is Andy found one in the boys room at 3:30 this morning. I am hoping it just came over from the one of the ripped open ceilings. At least it is caught. I hope it didn't lay any eggs.

Another thing Andy has done to protect his kids is filled in the holes and cracks in the kids bunk beds. When we purchased the bunk beds 8 and 10 years ago, we NEVER entertained the idea of bed bugs. Who knew?? The bunk beds are made of wood and have a bunch of holes where the wood slats join the posts. These are perfect for wanna be harbors for bed bugs. He filled in all the holes with wood glue. If any were in there they are there for good! But more importantly none can harbor in there. This now makes it much easier to check for bed bugs and not worry they are hiding.
Andy has been incredible throughout this whole thing. I would never have made it this far without his encouragement and mental strength. He is even taking a several weeks off from major ministry to be here for me, so I don't have to live this nightmare alone. This is huge for him as he rarely misses any ministry, but he knows my fragile mental state and realizes that until this is truly under control, I can't stay home by myself and stay sane. I have never been so thankful for my husband than I am right now! Please pray for him as he tries to put our house back together (mostly by himself) and figures out what he can do ministry wise.

1 comment:

Carisa said...

Somehow I missed this post when you put it up. I just love Andy and I love how the 2 of you are uniting in love through this battle as that is what is happening to Frank and I. We are growing stronger as couples as we weather these storms.

Soon, soon my friend we'll be walking hand in hand with our men in peace. Maybe we'll hire sitters and go out to dinner then!

Love ya!