Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Staff Retreat

BB - (Saturday) 0
Today (Tuesday) 0

Twice a year our staff goes away to fellowship, worship, have meetings, and have a ton of fun! This past weekend was our time away at America's Keswick with our staff family. It couldn't have come at a better time! Andy and I really needed to get away, just to spend time focusing on our children and enjoying our staff family. We had a blast! I so love the people we work with. They are caring, loving, compassionate and just plain fun!!!! They have been uplifting us in prayer throughout this whole bed bug ordeal. Many have wanted to help, but we have no idea how they could do that without risking their own homes. Just the thought that they would be willing to do what they could is comforting.

While we are away we have a meeting each day. During our meeting we share things that have encouraged us during the past year, things that have been a discouragement, things that God is teaching us and goals we have, both personal and ministry. Needless to say, I didn't make it through without many tears. This past year has been the most difficult since moving here to Philly. It was comforting to share with our ministry family what is going on in our lives and what we are learning. Even though we all live near each other, we rarely get to see each other socially. They have all been praying for us, but today the staff specifically prayed for both the Hinson's and us. The Hinson's for the cancer that has infiltrated their lives and us for the dreaded bedbugs that have infiltrated our house. It was powerful. It renewed my strength and faith. It encouraged my heart. It was exactly what I needed to continue this battle. God is so good and I am so thankful for our family here in Philadelphia. Without them, life would be extremely difficult. Please pray for our entire staff, the Curry's, Darrow's, Hinson's, Kliewers, Jonerik, Trish, Jen, Denise, Christine, and Jack. They are an amazing group of people and are incredible servants of God.

While we were there we also had a lot of fun! I learned to play Sequence with Andy, Frank and Jack. I think I frustrated Frank a bit!! I am a defensive player (meaning I am always looking how to block a play) and made Andy and Frank (they were a team) really work for their wins. We also enjoyed swimming and just sitting around talking. I also enjoyed sleeping!!!! I took a great nap on Monday and still slept well last night. For those of you wondering, yes, I did take all the sheets off the beds and thoroughly checked the room for bed bugs. No place will be considered safe until I inspect it! I have learned a huge lesson from having these dreadful creatures. Everyone should check everywhere, no matter where you are going. No place is exempt from having bed bugs. Learn how to check the mattresses, frames, and surrounding areas, no matter where you travel.

I thank God for His loving care of us. I am so blessed with a staff family and time to get away and enjoy their company. Please continue to pray for our situation. Pray for Andy, as well, as he has a lot of work to do this week to continue fighting these pests.

No comments: